I’m a Scientist is like school science lessons meet the X Factor! School students choose which scientist gets a prize of $1000 to communicate their work.
Scientists and students talk on this website. They both break down barriers, have fun and learn. But only the students get to vote.
This zone is the Disease Zone. It has scientists studying the causes and processes of illness . Who gets the prize? YOU decide!
🙂 thank you! I feel honoured!
I’m trying to put together a lesson pack to send out to schools around Australia that will cover in 1 or 2 lessons (up to the teacher)
1) how our body works to prevent us from gaining weight
2) what goes wrong when someone does become overweight and risks for other diseases (e.g. cancer)
3) the role of the liver, brain, pancreas, gut and fat tissue in these processes
4) the long term consequences for children when their mum is overweight during pregnancy
5) current therapies for obese people and why they mostly don’t work….
6) how to lose weight safely
Ofcourse I will try to cover things that the general public doesn’t know, so I won’t talk about “if you eat too much chocolate, you will get fat”, because we all know that!
I plan to aim it at year 11/12 students and something that is interactive (not just listening to the teacher and falling asleep in class….) and something that is based on science facts!
I’m having my first baby in 8 weeks time, so I’ll probably be able to put something together early 2013!